Acne Scars can make you feel self-conscious and even embarrassed at times. However, you don’t have to live with these scars for all your life. Advanced technology has introduced many kinds of treatments that can reduce their appearance significantly and help you enjoy a smooth and youthful looking skin. We, at Dr Rashmi’s Skin, Hair & Laser Clinic, make this possible for you in a very safe and effective manner.
Acne is a common problem with teenagers because of the rapid increase in the levels of their hormones that they come across during their puberty. Acne can also occur during pregnancy because of hormonal imbalances. They occur when the sebaceous glands in your skin follicles become overactive.
This is when these glands start producing an oily substance called sebum to keep your skin moisturized. Nevertheless, an over production of sebum may block your follicles and plug them with dead cells. This is how you get acne. Acne and come and go; but the scars may remain for a lifetime if nothing is done about it.
Types of Acne Scars
Not all acne scars are permanent. There are a few that disappear with time. There are different types of Acne scars including:
- Macules: Macules refer to red flat spots that occur at the spots where there were acne lesions. These are usually temporary and disappear after a couple of days.
- Skin discoloration: When an acne scar heals it can leave your skin discolored. This is also known as post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Such skin discoloration could be visible for a few months even after your acne lesion has healed completely.
- Tissue scars. At times you see enlarged scars in places where you had acne. These are basically a growth of extra tissues that are meant to heal your acne. These may be in the form of hypertrophic scars or keloids.
- Scars caused by loss of tissues: depressed fibrotic scars, ice-pick scars, atrophic macules, soft scars and follicle macular atrophy are all examples of scars caused by loss of tissues. These have a pitted appearance and look sunken.
Acne-Scar Removal Options
Though there may be topical creams and medications for acne scar reduction, their effects are generally temporary. If you are looking for long-lasting results, you will have to consult a dermatologist as early as possible. At Nu Cosmetic Clinic, we believe in helping you get rid of your acne scars in a safe, effective and minimally or non-invasive way. We do a complete assessment of your skin during the consultation session and suggest the perfect treatment, which could be any of these:
- Microdermabrasion: This is a non-invasive non-surgical procedure of acne scar removal where in several microcrystals are sprayed on to the surface of your skin. These crystals exfoliate your skin by removing the outer layer that may be affected by acne scars, pigmentation patches, sun spots, wrinkles or fine lines. Then mild suction is used to remove the left over crystals and the skin debris, to reveal smooth, fresh and rejuvenated skin. This treatment involves absolutely no pain and can be carried out as a lunch time procedure. If you do not have too deep scars or active keloids, this treatment should work for you. However, multiple sessions may be required to achieve desired results. Read more about Microdermabrasion
- Chemical peels: For shallow acne scars and discolored skin around healed acne lesions, chemical peels may be an effective treatment. This involves the application of a chemical solution on to the surface of your skin, the ingredients of which are carefully chosen depending upon your skin type and your condition. After a while your face is given a gentle wash and a soothing ointment is applied. This will exfoliate your skin, giving it a very smooth and youthful appearance. Slight redness and a bit of peeling are common after this procedure. However, this will fade away soon. Depending upon the depth of your acne scar, light, medium or deep chemical peel will be used.
- Fillers: Fillers with hyaluronic acid can be used to fill out pitted or depressed acne scars. These are injections that work by stimulating the production of collagen in your skin. A numbing cream is applied before injecting your skin through the filler. This should take care of any pain or discomfort that you may feel during the procedure. As there are no cuts or incisions, this procedure does not need any recovery time. Read More about Fillers.
- Laser treatment: Laser works very well in reducing the appearance of any type of acne scars. There are different types of laser treatments that can help in minimizing the appearance of scars, contour the areas around them and lighten the redness that you come across around your healed acne lesions. They work well on both raised as well as flat acne scars. You may need multiple sessions to achieve the desired results. The time that you need for recovery depends totally on the type of laser that is used. Read More about Laser Treatment for Acne Scar Removal
Do some research on the type of treatment advised for your condition. Read a few reviews and go through a couple of before-after images to make sure what you are getting into. This will help you understand what you can expect from the treatment and how soon.