Know More About Blackhead Removal
Blackheads are a type of acne that occurs when your facial pores or hair follicles are blocked by oil, bacteria, dirt and dead skin cells. Ageing process, sun damage and acne can worsen this condition. They leave open black blemishes that can make your face look ugly. They are also known as comedones. Although there are many home remedies and over-the-counter medications, they tend to leave your skin dry, without really eliminating your black heads completely. Therefore, it is always better to consult a skin specialist who is experienced in administering treatments for blackhead removal. He/she will be able to tell you what works and what may not work for you.
Causes of Blackheads
Although blackheads are caused mainly by clogging of hair follicles, there are certain factors that increase your chances of developing blackheads and acne. These include:
- Excess production of body oil
- A buildup of Propionibacterium acne on your skin
- Presence of dead skin cells that might irritate your hair follicles
- Hormonal imbalances during pregnancy, menstruation, adolescence or while consuming birth-control pills
- Consumption of certain medications that contain androgens, lithium or corticosteroids
In some cases certain foods or dairy products may also trigger acne. However, nothing has been proved as yet.
Treatments for Blackhead Removal:
Different treatments may be administered for the removal of blackhead. Some of these include:
- Prescription Topical Medications: Your dermatologist might prescribe an ointment or a cream that could be much stronger than the OTC medications available. Most of these medications contain Vitamin A in the form of tretinoin, tazarotene and adapalene. The antibiotics present in these medications kill the bacteria that are trapped in your blackheads. The benzoyl peroxide in the cream or ointment will promote the growth of new cells, while destroying the bacteria. You may come across a few side effects such as burning, redness or stinging. Anything which seems more severe than this will have to be reported to your doctor immediately.
- Oral Medications: Sometimes certain antibiotics may be prescribed along with the topical medications to destroy the bacteria in your blackheads. These will take care of the inflammation in your blockheads and make the topical creams work better. However, these might sometimes upset your stomach and make your skin very sensitive to the skin. It is better to limit the consumption of such medication. Birth control pills containing norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol can also be effective in controlling the outbreaks of blackheads. Nevertheless, you may come across certain side effects such as nausea, depression and headaches and increase your chances of developing breast cancer
- Extraction: Squeezing your blackheads is a strict no-no. Instead, the doctors today use a pen-sized device to squeeze out the oil and bacteria from your hair follicles. This procedure is normally done in sterile conditions with a thin blade that is used to cut out your blackheads. This may however leave a small scar that might even heal later.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion can lift those blackheads from your facial pores by blasting a spray of thousands of microcrystals on your face. This exfoliates your skin deeply, stimulating the collagen production in your new skin cells. While being absolutely painless, this treatment can give you a smooth and youthful appearance in just one treatment.
- Skin Peel: This treatment uses a solution of mild acidic chemicals which remove the dead skin cells from the top layer of your skin, revealing blackhead-free, flawless skin underneath. A few regular sessions will give you the desired results in a safe way.
- Laser: Laser treatments treat those deep pockets of oil that are the main source from which blackheads are created. These not only eliminate your blackheads but also see to it that they do not form in future by reducing the future supply of oil to your hair follicles. Beams of light are used to destroy your dead skin cells and bacteria that cause blackheads to reveal smooth, tightened, supple and youthful skin. They also stimulate the production of collagen in your skin and promote the growth of new skin cells in a safe manner.
Our Experienced Team:
Dr. Rashmi is one of the well-known dermatologists practicing in Bangalore. She is highly qualified and has a vast experience in treating various kinds of skin disorders. She has a clinic that is equipped with the latest technology equipment and sophisticated facilities to help her provide effective and safe treatments for her clients. A specialized team assists her in taking every precaution that is necessary so as to cause no side effects either during or after the treatment.
Dr. Rashmi has helped many get rid of their blackheads permanently, giving them the skin they always dreamed of having. Many of her clients have been extremely pleased with our services and the kind of results they have achieved as a result. They have recommended our services to many of their friends and relatives. A Few have even written reviews that we have put up on our testimonial page. You can go through these to get firsthand information of what you can expect from us.
Although the type of treatment you go for is the one that determines the amount that you may have to spend on your blackhead removal treatment, there are various other factors such as:
- The doctor that you have chosen
- The geographical location of his/her clinic
- Your skin condition
- The number of sessions you may require
- The time frame within which you would like to see the results
You can call us up and fix an appointment with Dr. Rashmi. We will give you a consultation session absolutely free of cost during which you can clarify all your queries about blackhead removal and get the pricing estimated.