Know More About Melasma Pigmentation Treatment Using Laser
Melasma refers to the brown splotches or spots you may have seen on your cheeks, forehead, upper lip or jawline. This is nothing but dark pigment that is triggered by the production of hormones or exposure to sun. These spots generally appear when a woman is taking oral contraceptives, is on hormone replacement therapy or is pregnant. Although people of all skin types may get melisma, it is more likely to appear in women who are dark complexioned.
- Melasma during pregnancy:Once you start getting melasma during pregnancy, it might get difficult to treat it later. Exposure to natural light or sun light will worsen your condition over time. If you are pregnant during summer there are high chances that you may get a bad case of melasma. However, in most cases melasma might get resolved after child-birth. Nevertheless, it is good to apply a sunscreen of more than SPF 15 on a regular basis throughout your pregnancy and even afterwards till your Melasma gets resolved by itself. This might recur in case of subsequent pregnancies.
- Melasma after oral contraceptives:If you find any brown splotches on your face while taking oral contraceptives, it is better to consult your dermatologist immediately. Any delay in such cases might lead to permanent melasma problems.
- Melasma due to hormone-replacement therapy:There are many risks and side effects associated with HRT or hormone replacement therapy and melasma is one of them. If recognized early these may be treated through topical creams and lotions. However, if the conditions worsen you may need more effective treatments such as laser. Nevertheless, it is very important to take proper precautions to avoid your skin from getting exposed to the sun.
Melasma may also occur due to ovarian dysfunction, liver disease, cosmetics or thyroid autoimmune disease.
Types of Lasers treatments for Melasma
- Q-Switched ND: Yag Laser:QS ND: YAG laser works on inducing sub lethal injury to the melanosomes in the skin. This causes the melanin granules to fragment and rupture into cytoplasm. The light emitted by this laser is selectively absorbed by the melanin, causing very little damage to the epidermis. It also causes subcellular damage to the upper dermal vascular plexus, thereby targeting melasma. It stimulates the production of collagen that gives you bright and tightened skin.
- Q-Switched Ruby Laser: Although controversial, this seems to have better effects on melasma rather than the Q-Switched ND: Yag Laser. It might however cause some amount of pain during treatment.
- Erbium: YAG Laser: Erbium: Yag Laser is considered to work better in case of recalcitrant Melasma. Since the wavelength it emits is better absorbed by water, it can ablate the skin without causing much damage to your skin.
- Pulsed-Dye Laser:This type of laser works on the vascular component of the Melasma lesions. It is effective in reducing the stimulation of melanocyte and prevents the same from relapsing.
- FractionalLaser: This type of treatment causes thermal damage in multiple microscopic zones. As such, the majority of your skin remains intact, thereby making recovery faster. Without causing any open wounds, this treatment targets dermal melasma in a better way.
Why go for Laser for Melasma?
Laser not only destroys the cells causing melasma it also prevents any kind of relapse. These treatments also work on eliminating your age spots, fine lines, wrinkles and acne scars, giving you a more youthful appearance with glowing and tightened skin. The benefits associated with laser for melasmainclude:
- Quicker Results
- Faster Recover
- Improved Results
- QualityProfessional care without side effects
However, it is very important to choose a good dermatologist who is well-qualified and experienced in administering laser treatments
Is it Right for you?
Although laser treatments may work for all skin types, it is always better to consult your dermatologist to find out if it is the right treatment for you. Nevertheless, it is good to avoid them if you are:
- Pregnant or lactating
- Suffering from active acne
- Having any kind of skin infections or allergies
Our Experienced Team:
In case you are looking for a good dermatologist who can treat Melasma in Bangalore, you can visit Dr.Rashmi at her clinic. Dr.Rashmi is a qualified dermatologist who has a vast experience in treating various kinds of cosmetic problems through different methods. She is one of the experts in administering laser treatments. Her clinic is well-equipped with sophisticated equipment that uses latest technology to make sure the treatments provided are effective and safe. The team of specialists that works under her is absolutely dedicated and committed to provide excellent service to her clients.
Many cases of Melasma have been treated successfully by Dr. Rashmi through effective laser treatments. Most of these patients have expressed their satisfaction by recommending our services to many of their friends and relatives. Some of them have even written reviews that we have put up on our testimonial page. You can go through these to get first-hand information about the quality of our treatments and services.
The amount that you may have to spend on your laser treatment for melasma can only be estimated after considering the type of treatment you choose, your skin-type, the number of sessions you may need, the doctor that you select, the location of the clinic and so on. Although this might work a bit expensive, it still benefits you in the long-term as it will avoid you from getting treated again and again. You can call us up and fix an appointment with Dr. Rashmi at your convenient time, to avail a free consultation session during which she will tell you all that you want to know about laser treatment for melasma and the pricing.