Know More About Stretch Mark Removal
Stretch marks is a type of skin scarring that might occur during puberty, pregnancy, short-term weight gain from body-building, physical activities or obesity. You come across stretch marks when the middle layer of your skin is stretched beyond the limit of toleration. When such a thing happens, the connective fibers of your skin tend to break, which disrupts the production of collagen, causing scarring. The only way to get rid of this scarring is by going for stretch mark removal treatment. This doesn’t however mean only surgery as there are many types of minimally invasive and non-surgical options that are safe and effective for removing stretch marks.
Causes of Stretch Marks:
You may find stretch marks on various areas of your body such as your lower back, your buttocks, your thighs, your arms, your hips and your abdominal area. Although women are more likely to get stretch marks, men can get them too. The various causes for stretch marks include:
- Genetics:If your mom had stretch marks after her pregnancy or weight loss/gain, you may get them too when there is a fluctuation in your weight.
- Puberty:During puberty your body goes through a growth spurt that your skin is often unable to keep up with. At this stage stretch marks might be common.
- Pregnancy:During pregnancy your skin stretches beyond limits so as to make space for the growing life inside you. You also tend to put on a lot of weight during this period which might cause stretch marks on your hips, abdomen and legs.
- Bodybuilding:Body building can make your skin stretch beyond limits. This might make you develop stretch marks too.
- Corticosteroids:If you are taking corticosteroids in oral or topical form for a long period of time, you may come across stretch marks.
- Ethnicity:If you are dark complexioned you have lower chances of getting stretch marks
Treatments for Stretch Mark Removal:
There are many treatments to remove stretch marks. The one that will work for you depends on the severity of your stretch marks. Your doctor may be able to suggest you the right treatment after evaluating your condition. Some of the most popular and effective non-surgical and minimally invasive options for removing stretch marks include:
- Chemical Peels: Although Chemical peels are usually used to treat the age spots and wrinkles on your face, they can be used on stretch marks too. A chemical solution is first applied to your skin through a brush, a cotton swab or a cotton pad. The ingredients used in this solution and their strength mostly depend upon the severity of your stretch marks. This solution peels off the top layers of your skin that have dead or damaged cells, revealing a smooth flawless skin underneath. You might come across a burning or a stinging sensation during the procedure. You may require multiple sessions so as to make sure the stretch marks fade away completely. However, this is one treatment that will give you healthier, smoother and youthful looking skin that you can enjoy for a long period of time.
- Microdermabrasion:This treatment also removes the outer layer of your skin however without the use of any chemicals. Thousands of micro crystals are sprayed on to your skin that will cleanse your skin and remove those dead cells. This will also stimulate the production of elastin and collagen in your skin, to make sure the new skin that grows is smooth and flawless. You might need anywhere from five to twelve sessions for your stretch marks to fade away completely. This treatment has absolutely no down time and no side effects. It is essentially a lunchtime procedure after which you can resume back to work without any worries.
- Blue Light Therapy: This is also one of the treatments that are used for facial acne. However it might work for stretch marks to some extent. A photosensitive gel is first applied to your skin. Then it is exposed to bursts of blue light energy. Again, this involves no down time or any kind of side effects. After a couple of sessions you might start seeing results.
- Laser Stretch Mark Removal: This is probably the most popular treatment people go for, for stretch mark removal. It uses a beam of light to remove the top thin layers of your skin around those stretch marks. Excimer laser is the one that is preferred for stretch mark removal. It uses high-energy ultraviolet laser light, which disrupts and disintegrates the molecular bonds in your skin tissues. Within a few weeks, you will find fresh skin that appears healthy, smooth and rejuvenated. Mild redness and bruising can be expected after the treatment. However, these will fade away within a few days. If you have mild stretch marks one or two sessions may be good enough for you. However it might take a few more sessions to treat stretch marks that are older and severe.
Surgical removal of stretch marks may be the only other alternative if none of the above work for you. Choosing a qualified and experienced surgeon will ensure effective treatment without any kind of major risks or side effects.
Our Experienced Team:
Dr. Rashmi is one of those dermatologists who focus on eliminating your skin problems in the safest and the most effective way. She has a clinic in Bangalore that is fully equipped with sophisticated equipment of the latest technology. She offers excellent facilities in order to cater to many clients with different kinds of skin disorders. She has a specialized team that assists her in achieving each and every objective pertaining to treatments. She has in fact helped many get rid of their stretch marks in the fastest and the most efficient way.
If you are still wondering what to do, you can go through a few reviews that we have put up on our testimonial page. These are written by our clients who have undergone various cosmetic treatments in our clinic. The kind of results they have experienced should tell you what you can expect from us and clarify any queries that you may have in your mind.
Pricing of stretch marks removal treatment depends entirely on the type of treatment you go for. Non-surgical treatments are usually quite cost-effective when compared to their surgical counterparts. However, it all depends on various factors including:
- The doctor that you choose
- The geographical location of his/her clinic
- The number of sessions you may need
- The kind of results you are expecting
- The timeframe within which you would like to see your results
We can give you a completely free consultation session with Dr. Rashmi during which you can clarify all your queries and get an exact estimate of the amount that you may have to spend for your treatment.
Trust us and we will give you the best!